Time to raise the right glass?

Moderators: Tom, dawn

Time to raise the right glass?

Postby redshorts47 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:14 pm

I know it's been a long debate but it seems many brewpubs and beer bars are really making a big effort/ transition into serving their beer in style specific glassware. Originally I thought it was all a bunch of crap. I hated being served a barley wine in a snifter glass but recently have been getting into knowing my different glassware. I still only like and will collect the massive popular conical glass and detest the nonic even though it gives me an extra 4oz. and the glasses don't stick together when stacked. :D

My attitude changed on this argument on our last visit to Rehoboth Beach this past November when we visited the Henlopin City Oyster House again. Great place to have an Amazing dinner and some excellent microbrews from around the U.S.. The first night I ordered a Rogue Double Chocolate Stout and it was served to me in a regular conical glass, my glass of choice since it's so familiar and that's what I'm use to. Thought it was a really good beer. The next night I returned and ordered another double chocolate stout by Rogue and was served in what i thought at the time to be a specific glass for it's style and was amazed on how much it really did elevate the experience with the increased aroma and taste, and I guess it did make the beer look prettier...I mean nicer lol. I really don't want to get into style specific glassware because I don't want to be a total beer snob but I have to say they might be onto something here. Thoughts?

http://m.nypost.com/p/entertainment/travel/touch_of_glass_makes_beer_better_NInrj4TrwayBbWxKnIUZVI
Last edited by redshorts47 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Re: Time to raise the right glass?

Postby redshorts47 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:22 pm

After much searching for the exact glass that I was served the Rogue Double Chocolate Stout on the second night, I finally found it. I thought it was a type of tulip glass but it's not. It's called a Teku, which I guess is considered a goblet and is not a beer style specific glass. Rather a universal beer glass designed to enhance the flavors and aromas of all styles. Here's a link to the glass I'm talking about. Learn something new everyday I guess. Sure did enhance the flavor and aroma of the Double Chocolate Stout.

http://ladymuffett.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/photo.png?w=908
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Laurie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:24 am

There is a lot to this in terms of temperature of the beer, the "sheeting" on the glass, etc. It is one thing to make a beer and have a certain taste for the first five minutes, quite another to see how it tastes 10 minutes after that and the glass can make a huge difference in maintaining the taste.

Ever notice when you get a sampler glass versus a pint that there is a difference? Those smaller sampler glasses will warm more quickly, a cold pint glass not so quickly.
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby redshorts47 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:42 am

That's a very good point you bring up about samplers. They're so small and I usually take a great deal if time to go through them all especially if I'm having something to eat with them. I saw Dogfish came out with their IPA specific beer glass yesterday on their Facebook page and I came across the New York Post article last night at work. There's some pretty interesting things about glassware. Remember when we were at Fiddlehead and they had two different kinds of pint glasses, one they called their nuclear pint glass which cost a little extra. I had no idea what they were talking about until I got home and washed the glass. It has a laser etching of a fiddlehead on the bottom on the inside. I first noticed this with my Roosterfish pint glass which has the Roosterfish logo and did a google search on it. Found out that the etching, referred to as a widget aids the release of carbon dioxide bubbles which in return maintains a head on the beer. I thought that was very cool.

When you and Tom judge beer at TAP NY do they have you guys judge it in style specific glasses. If not do you think they will end up going that way or are they pretty relaxed and aren't that uptight about it? Just curious. I'm guessing probably not now that I think about it. Can't really see them filling an entire glass for a certain style just to take a couple sips from but I could be wrong.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Tom » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:13 am

redshorts47 wrote:When you and Tom judge beer at TAP NY do they have you guys judge it in style specific glasses. If not do you think they will end up going that way or are they pretty relaxed and aren't that uptight about it? Just curious. I'm guessing probably not now that I think about it. Can't really see them filling an entire glass for a certain style just to take a couple sips from but I could be wrong.
Everything is served in the same style of glass, which holds about 6-8 oz. of beer. They do get warm if you wait too long, sometimes changing the taste significantly.

At least every beer is served in the same glass, so I assume a given stout would not be impacted any more than any other stout.
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby redshorts47 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:10 pm

I kinda figured that. If they're all in the same glass then non have an advantage or disadvantage.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Laurie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Gotta go off topic a second when you mention Fiddlehead, Lee - we were back up there on Thursday night of last week for dinner - had pickled fiddleheads - WOW! Were they awesome! and of course some more of their very fresh IPA as well! I do remember the nuclear glass - and we do score beers for their head, their sheeting on the glass at TAP - so this all counts.
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby redshorts47 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:58 pm

Mmmm, that actually sounds really good. Would be nice to get back up there. Thinking about driving up to the Alchemist here sometime in the next month or so to pick up some Heady Topper for our friends in Ohio on our way through to Tennessee, guess we'll have to stop back in. :wink:
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Return to Everything else