Another state done!

Rhode Island Trips and Events

Moderator: Pamola

Another state done!

Postby Lindsay » Fri May 27, 2016 11:12 am

We carved a couple of days out of what seems to be a very busy schedule to make a visit to Rhode Island. We loaded the car up with overnight bags, walking shoes, and bicycles, and headed south from New Hampshire. We had perfect weather for our view outings, and as always, a good time making the brewpub rounds.

Thanks to a knee that no longer willingly tolerates any activity involving "up", we covered a lot of viewing ground on the bicycles for two of our activities - we circled Block Island and rode the East Bay Bicycle Path end to end and back. We also took the 2-1/2 mile walking tour of Providence on the Independence Trail (just try and follow that faded green line on the pavement without a map!), and covered several miles along the Newport, RI Cliff walk including the gravel and boulder sections starting from Forty Steps parking heading south. The Point Judith lighthouse itself is not accessible, but an adjacent private park that is open to the public made for a nice stroll and views.

We enjoyed a couple of half-pints at Trinty (Tommy's Red and Belgian Wit) with a light snack, supper at Brutopia along with the special Revival Porter and a Bliss Light Lager (the pulled pork stayed with us all night), a sampler of Mohegan Cafe and Brewery's four in-house brews along with a couple of good salads for a light lunch, Coddington Brewing's Maibock and Blueberry Ale along with a salad and sandwich lunch, and Union Station Brewing / John Harvard's Coffee Bean Porter and a Blueberry Ale on the patio along with supper. Perhaps the most disappointing for us was Mohegan's brews. They use Fuggle Hops in all four brews which made for a citrus flavor that just wasn't to our liking. My favorite brew was Trinity's Tommy's Red with Coddington's Maibock a close second (I usually favor a strong ale), and R's was John Harvard's Blueberry Ale (R. prefers a light ale, a wheat ale, or even a lager).

Visit with activity log and patch $ for the growing collection will be forth coming.
Lindsay
Viewer

Re: Another state done!

Postby Tom » Mon May 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Wow, you now have 6 patches/states! That might be 3rd place! :D :toast:

Laurie and I have 12: ME, NH, VT, MA, CT, RI, NJ, NY, DE, PA, WV, NV
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Laurie » Tue May 31, 2016 6:34 am

Congratulations on finishing another state! Rhode Island is a real pretty state to visit during nice weather - we have to go back when we can see something on the trip over to Block Island.

I was also underwhelmed with the Mohegan Sun beers, but I guess folks go there for other reasons......other pubs certainly made up for it with great beers on their lists.

Congratulations again - love the avatar!
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby Tom » Tue May 31, 2016 6:48 am

Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Rhode Island Trips and Events