9-15-12 TCT/Long Trail/Harpoon

Vermont Trip Reports and upcoming events go here

Moderators: Pamola, Vermont

9-15-12 TCT/Long Trail/Harpoon

Postby Woolybear » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:19 am

9-15-12 Norhtern TCT & Long Trail / Harpoon
Paul S. (Woolybear) and Mike S. (Woodzy)

We had both been experiencing several weeks of high work stress and really needed to get out for a good hike and some beer. Due to a tragic work situation mandatory OT for the weekend was canceled so I could get out. Drove straight form work sat morning and met Mike outside of Pownal VT at the northern terminus of the TCT (Taconic Crest Trail) where we spotted a car. Next we drove over to the Petersburg Pass and started out on a nice leisurely hike. This section of the TCT is very popular and very gentle. It has several very nice overlooks and a place called the snow hole (large stone crevasse that in a good year retains cool snow long into the year) which is a popular destination for tourist. The weather was perfect and we saw only one person out so we had the woods all to ourselves.
Post hike we were feeling much better and headed out for beer. We ended up driving up to Long Trail. We like Long Trail but now having gone several times, well it’s not as high on the list of favorites any more. The food and people are very good as is the beer but it never really changes (even the seasonal are becoming common and standard). Frankly I can get there beer locally so there is actually little reason to visit and NO growlers :cry: . That made me a bit grumpy. They have sold them in the past but now they have gotten to big for growlers, sigh.
We didn’t stay long as our real destination was Harpoon in Windsor VT. After a quick hop over to Harpoon we were sitting at the bar beers in hand. I started out with their Baltic Porter a very hefty licorice/fruit beer. It was nice but a bit to licorice for me. The Oktoberfest was good as well (Mikes favorite of the day) but the Harpoon Dark not so much. Harpoon hits all three of the important points for a good brewpub visit perfectly, great beer, great food, and attractive female wait staff. After three visits it has never disappointed. On our way out we left with a very large quantity of beer. Mike needed to restock his supply of Harpoon and I needed to grab some of the barley wine since I haven’t been able to find it anywhere else as well as a growler of cider.
PA - 4/30
Woolybear
Pubcrawler

Re: 9-15-12 TCT/Long Trail/Harpoon

Postby redshorts47 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:10 pm

Loved Harpoon! The beer was great and I loved the atmosphere of the place. When we went it was a beautiful day and sat outside by the huge fire put they have, very cool place
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Return to Vermont Trips and Events