Vermont Brewer's Festival Review

Vermont Trip Reports and upcoming events go here

Moderators: Pamola, Vermont

Vermont Brewer's Festival Review

Postby Laurie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:40 am

WOW!!!! Did Vermont outdo themselves this year! Always good beer, but this was their 20th anniversary and they really put on a show!

We always volunteer to work one session at the festival and attend another at a reduced cost for our troubles. This year, they added a new volunteer shift to help set up on Friday morning. We were put to work setting up tables and chairs, stuffing tickets in glasses, putting up signs, a wide variety of tasks and none were overly difficult. And of course the venue is always perfect and so was the weather, not to hot, not to cold and no rain.

Back to our hostess Kerry's place for a shower and then Tom's son Dave and his friend Erin met us and we had a wait in line of perhaps 5 minutes! Yes, only 5 minutes where they let us in the food vendor areas prior to taps opening at 5:30. All this gave us a chance for some recon, so when the horn sounded we were off to our traditional start - LPPB IPA!

From there, we tasted some truly great beers - lots of collaborations for the anniversary. Two of my favorites turned out to be Mother Goose from Fiddlehead Brewery and Angel City, a wheat beer with pale malt honey and gooseberries - you even got a gooseberry in the sampling glass. Great combo of sweet and sour and then Captain Jacks Scurvy Syrum with Vermont Beer Company and Kingdom Brewing, a smoked malt and fresh spruce tips brew that was great! BobCat had Unrepentant, a chocolate pepper stout; A new Brewery in St. Albans 14th Star Brewing Co had an American Pale ale that was great; The Alchemist had a collaboration with Tarnation a hoppy imperial milk stout that was fabulous; Rock Art had a pumpkin imperial spruce stout - to die for!; Vermont Pub and Brew had their Lake Champlain Chocolate Stout - oh so good; and we had to try the Masswhole from Worm town in Worcester MA - a wheat beer that I did not care for; and from our northern neighbors I had a Cuda an American IPA from Benelux Brewpub that was great; a Unami - a mushroom stout from Dieu Du Ciel - have to think about ordering a pint of that, but not bad; and oh so many others - I actually tried to keep track and make comments.

To gather views the next day, we took a trip up to Abraham via the Battell trail and over to Ellen and returned, about 13 miles - as a recon for a winter trip there. We were not disappointed by the views, a bit hazy, but on a clear winter day - just awesome I am sure!

I really think they made several improvements this year, kept the crowd numbers and line length downs, got us through admissions very quickly, added more food vendors and over 40 brewers - I hope this continues and was not just for their anniversary year. Mark your calendars for next year - this is a great event!
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Re: Vermont Brewer's Festival Review

Postby coldfeet » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:33 pm

Sounds nice, just picked up an otter creek porter yesterday and had it today, whew! I miss Vermont, hope all is well.
Never been a big beer drinker but I'm willing to learn!
coldfeet
Pubcrawler

Return to Vermont Trips and Events