Taking Vermont and the W48 :)

Vermont Trip Reports and upcoming events go here

Moderators: Pamola, Vermont

Taking Vermont and the W48 :)

Postby redshorts47 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:50 am

Friday night Siobhan and I drove over to NH to finally finish our W48. Not too many people knew about it. We really didn't want to make a big celebration out of it, mainly because it was a very long hike and nothing is for certain. A couple of our friends that are also working on their winter 48 decided to come along for the trip. A couple of our other friends were out doing there own hike in preperation of finishing up their own W48 before the end of the season. :wink:

Saturday in the wee hours of the morning we woke up from our motel in Lincoln, grabbed our gear, and headed for some DD for the ever important coffee and some food. At the trailhead by 6 and we started off on our raod walk 15 minutes later. Today we would be hiking South Twin, North Twin, Galehead, and Garlfield....in that order. We decided not to spot a car so not to have to deal with the water crossing(s) on the North Twin Trail. However by doing this it would tack on a few more miles, a rehike back up South Twin but by the sounds of other peoples experiences that day with the water crossing it sounds like we made a good choice. The hike was absent of snow until we reached about 2500ft and then the snow depth quickly deepened. The hike up to the Hut when by really fast thanks to the great company. We dropped our extra water and left it at the hut taking only what we needed for the out and back trip of South and North Twin. The views were amazing with a stunning undercast for a very good portion of the day. Snow the entire way out and back except for on the rocks of South Twin and the lookout on North Twin. It was very hot out this day and three of us were in t-shirts, not sure how our one friend was able to wear his long sleeve the entire day. I was burning up and was actually dunking my bandana in a small pool of water on South Twin to cool me off. The going was great and we were able to stay on the monorail.

We made it back down to the hut and relaxed for a little while before we headed up Galehead. A very nice short hike up with not much elevation was nice. On our trip down we stopped at the outlook to take in more views before heading down. So far so good. Only one more peak left to finish the W48 and we were all feeling really good. The weather was absolutely amazing and we decided to take a very leisurely lunch at the hut and bask in the sun for close to an hour. At this point we have only seen 3 other people the entire day and for only a few minutes at the hut. We finaly decided to get going even though we could have stayed there forever. The ridge walk over to Garfield went by a lot faster then what I had remembered it. Maybe it was the fact that it was our last peak and I didn't mind all the little ups and downs, nothing could ruin this momment. Carefully staying on the monorail not to fall off and sink in to my waist (happened just a couple times thankfully) we were all at the junction just .2 miles below the summit of Garfield. In no time at all were were standing on the summit at 4:15pm and as winter 48ers. WoooHoooo!!!! :D Our friends broke out some St. Patty's Day glasses to celebrate with and I busted out the Tequila shots with the training wheels. Finishing on Garfield worked out pretty perfect because the wooded board on the top of the little foundation up there worked great as a cutting board for the lime :wink: :D After our shots we snapped our summit photo and headed down for the car. Picked up the pace because our friends said they got us a celebratory cookie cake from Wegmens waiting for us back at the room. Out before dark and back to the room in Lincoln to shower up and then head over to Woodstock's to celebrate.

Now it's time to get to the important stuff. Never been a huge fan of Woodstocks but this trip has really turned that around. All of our food was great, and the beer was pretty darn tasty this time. they were really cool about us bringing in the Cookie Cake to celebrate and a bunch of the employees there were congratulating us on finishing up. We could tell our waiter really wanted a piece of the cookie cake so we gave him a piece and he didn't charge me for my coffee. Good deal! :D Woodstocks has redeamed itself and we'll be back again for sure more often. Extremely tired from the 21 mile hike we only stayed for our dinner and 2 beers and headed back to the motel room. A shot out to the people at the Riverbank Motel, they are awesome and have made a great base camp for this adventure. Thanks to them for making our stays so enjoyable there.

The next morning our friends got up early to do a nice hike up Cannon before their long drive back to the Cuse. We stayed in bed a few hours longer and then packed up and headed out to our usual breakfast place "FlapJack's" in Lincoln where they know us and gave us high fives for finishing, very cool people and great food, especially the french toast. :D

After Breakfast we made our way to route 91 in VT and decided to hit up Jasper Murdock's at the Norwich Inn. Just off the highway, makes me wonder why we haven't been there yet. We got there minutes after they opened up and sat at the bar and ordered a beer. It's a real small place but there was only the bartender and two locals there so it was really quite. Ordered up a Fuggle which was really good and we got to talking to the 2 locals. The women asked if we lived near Southern Tier because Siobhan was wearing her hat and she pointed out that her husband was wearing a Southern Tier shirt. We got to talking about TAP NY and the bartend gave us a free sampler of the 3 other beers they had on tap since we like and appreciate beer. Score!!! :D I have to say there wasn't one beer I didn't enjoy...even their lager....and I can't stand lagers. The food looked amazing too but we were still full from breakfast so we didn't order anything. We will definitely be back to this place. The bartender said they are going to be brewing a triple IPA soon called 2 truck stuck which the name comes from the brewer and someone else being stuck in the snow off of some lonely highway and they spent the entire time stuck waiting for help drinking IPA's. While at the bar talking to the two locals and the bartender Siobhan asked me how many more brewpubs we needed to finish our VT list. After this one we had 3. She then asked me how many more were on our way home. I said 3 again. So we decided just to spend the rest of this beautiful sunny day hitting brewpubs to finish our list.

Next on the stop was Harpoon! This would be our favorite brewpub of VT. We sat outside at the fire pit, no fire needed today to stay warm just the sun. Really nicely place and again right off the highway just .9 miles. Why haven't we been here before? What's going on here? By this time we were a little hungry so we ordered food and some IPA's by the fire pit. Had 2 with our lunch and just sat there enjoying ourselves. Great food, great beer and this day couldn't get any better. We will be back to this place pretty often from now on. Excellent place!!!

Our next stop was McNeil's. From just visiting 2 really nice places this one had a lot going against it. I liked the look of the place for the most part, but this place was a flop. There wasn't any seats at the bar so we sat at a table. No waitresses in site and the young dumb ass looking kid behind the bar ignored us and in between of pouring beer for the obvious locals he spent his time drinking. A waitress finally walked in, took care of some dirty dishes at the bar, walked behing the bar. poured a beer and then sat down at the bar and started drinking. At this point we were about 15 minutes or so into this place and I was getting annoyed by the crappy service. I walked up to the bar and finally got the kid to come over to pour us a beer. We had the 2 different IPA's and went to pay with my debit card which he then told me they only take cash. Now i'm annoyed!!! I hate places that only take cash and also to places that don't display a sign at the door before you walk in. I had to walk down and across the street to get money out of an ATM. Walking back to the brewpub their was a big domestic dispute between a guy and a women with a police officer stuck in between the two. Ok....I have finally had enough of this place. Went inside, payed for the beer, gave the guy a 50cent tip and slugged down the beer. The beer was alright, it might have tasted better on a different visit here but I was done with this place and was very glad this wasn't the place we finished the list on.

On to Madison brewing company and they had a pretty easy act to follow up with. Parked right in front of the place and walked in. Sat right at the bar and the bartender was asking what we wanted right as we sat down. I already like this place. They were all out of their pale so I ordered their Irish Stout which was very, very good. We ordered some onion rings which were perfect and we got to talking to 3 30somethings that sat right next down to us when they started talking about there hike. We got to talking about Views and Brews and they were all very interested in it especially the girl. They were from Manhattan so we were talking about Chelsea and they told me about some good beer bars to go to. I told them about 508 NYC and showed then the beer list they have on my iphone and they were all really excited about the place and said they would definitely be checking that place out during this week. At this point I ordered a Bucks Honey Wheat. The bartender told be it comes with a lime and asked me if I wanted it. Since I've soon a ton of people in NH drink their wheat beer with a lime.....I've also seen them drink stouts and IPA's with a lime :eek:, I said sure, I'll give it a try. Not too much into wheat beers and I don't know if it was the lime but it was fantastic. After our food and beers we said good bye to our new friends and continued our drive home. What a great place to finish up with! Had a great time at Madison!!! Another Views and Brews in the books! :D

Our friend had told us about this really good beer bar on Rt 7 just outside of Hoosick Falls going towards Troy called Man of Kent. We've passed it numerous times but never stopped, but we also didn't know it was a beer bar. Could tell it was a great place because there's always a bunch of cars there. This place is nice and small with a really nice outdoor seating area. The atmosphere is really cool. We had dinner here and the food was Amazing and for the beer they have 16 beers on tap with 130 different beers in bottles, domestic and imported. We ordered a Southern Tier IPA on tap and then I got an Arogant Bastard in a bottle. Great way to finish up the weekend!!! Seeing how this place is within a 30 minute drive from us we will be back as often as we can, especially seeing how they have a couple different beers from Brown's on tap there! :D :toast:
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Re: Taking Vermont and the W48 :)

Postby Woolybear » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:27 am

When you go back to Madison (a favorite of mine) you should pull in behind them they have a fairly large parking lot back there with direct access from the back to the brewpub. Saves the trouble of looking for parking, a serious plus.
PA - 4/30
Woolybear
Pubcrawler

Postby redshorts47 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:02 pm

Woolybear wrote:When you go back to Madison (a favorite of mine) you should pull in behind them they have a fairly large parking lot back there with direct access from the back to the brewpub. Saves the trouble of looking for parking, a serious plus.

I'll have to remember that for next time, thankfully for some reason there wasn't many cars in front and we were able to find a spot without a problem.

Oh, Tom and Laurie....the money order and forms are in the mail :D :toast:
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Woolybear » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:24 pm

Dam it i forgot to congratulate you, sorry was in a hurry to a meeting i could not miss. So CONGRATS :mrgreen: :toast: .
Harpoon was my favorite and has been great every time I've been back since (and will continue to go in the future, love there barley wine). Sorry McNeils was a flop too i can't say i am a fan of the atmosphere but i have enjoyed there beer on several occasions of course both times I've been there our bartender was a grizzled old lumberjack type fellow on the flip side everyone i have taken there did not like the place so i can relate to your experience. We all have differnet experience at different times and God know we can't all like the same things.
Now we need to get you through your list of 30 for NY. If you guys ever need a drinking partner to cut up driving on the NY v&b's drop me a line. It will be a hardship but I'm sure i can drag myself out for the sake of the lonely beers :wink: .
PA - 4/30
Woolybear
Pubcrawler

Postby Laurie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:47 pm

Congratulations to you both on completing the Winter 48 and the Vermont Views and Brews list! You did them both with great style and we were in fact raising a can of Dale's Pale Ale to you over at Zealand Hut!

I had no problem reading your report, Lee. I like to hear the details and like Paul said, we are not all the same. We like to stop at Norwich, Harpoon - I can honestly take or leave, McNeill's always a hit and miss - sometimes great batches of beer and atmosphere, sometimes not and Madison's was so unremarkable the last time I was there, all I remember is what was on TV! Now this place in Hoosick Falls - we better check this out, sounds good. There is also a Brunswyck Brewing along that stretch of highway - Brunswyck BBQ or something that is suppposed to be working on opening as a brewpub and they have a pretty good beer selection as well.......will have to spend more time in the neighborhood, I guess.

Congratulations again. Looking forward to seeing you both on Sat night?
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby redshorts47 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks Woolybear. Hopefully we can get together for some views and brews this summer. You're planning on going to the gathering right?

Thanks Laurie and Congratulations to you and Tom on your winter 48 finish as well. We were thinking of you guys when we were having our beers at Woodstocks. I will have to look into that Brunswck Brewing. Unfortunately I won't be at the winter gathering again this year because I have to work the weekend but Siobhan will be. :toast:
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Tom » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:40 pm

Congrats again, for both excellent finishes, 4 pubs and 4 peaks! :toast:
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Woolybear » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:55 pm

redshorts47 wrote:Thanks Woolybear. Hopefully we can get together for some views and brews this summer. You're planning on going to the gathering right?

Thanks Laurie and Congratulations to you and Tom on your winter 48 finish as well. We were thinking of you guys when we were having our beers at Woodstocks. I will have to look into that Brunswck Brewing. Unfortunately I won't be at the winter gathering again this year because I have to work the weekend but Siobhan will be. :toast:

Can't plan ahead to the gathering though i would love to join you guys for defiant. Currently interview with two companies so i am expecting massive schedule changes in next two months or so.
PA - 4/30
Woolybear
Pubcrawler

Postby redshorts47 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:50 pm

Thanks Tom! It was a great weekend with absolutely perfect weather as you know. A great way to finish up both lists. Congratulations on your winter 48 as well! Very exciting! :toast:

Wooly bear- hopefully you'll be able to make it. Work does get in the way a lot

Laurie- I checked out that Brunswick Barbecue and Brew places website. Looks like a great place to go have some great barbecue food and a beer! I love a good brisket. Hopefully they will start brewing. Siobhan and I will have to go to this place on a Friday night some time when they have their live music outside. Thanks again for letting me know about this place :D
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Tom » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby redshorts47 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:49 am

Tom wrote:We now have 10 finishers!

http://www.viewsandbrews.com/vt/finishers.html

:toast:

Looking Good! :D :toast:
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Double Bow » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:59 am

I'll have to get you my and Christina's form for this one. We finished when I finished my W67 on the 17th! :toast:
"A man's not drunk if he can lay on the floor without holding on." -- Joe E. Lewis
Double Bow
Senior Viewer

Return to Vermont Trips and Events