Killington and The Alchemist

Vermont Trip Reports and upcoming events go here

Moderators: Pamola, Vermont

Killington and The Alchemist

Postby redshorts47 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:53 am

This TR is over 4 months past due but I'll write and share it anyways, as it was an amazing trip filled with some great mountains, brews, and the company of some amazing friends. The little lady and I drove over to Killington very late on Dec. 28 to arrive at the TH at about 4 in the morning. We had plans later in the day to do another peak but after working 12 hours the day before, driving a total of 7 hours and getting no sleep I was exhausted and knew this wasn't a possibility for today as I've done these sort of trips in the past. We're here to have fun, not to kill ourselves and I told my hunny I needed some sleep and she was all for it as well. Took a 2-3 hour nap and we were up and running. We noticed another vehicle at the far end of the parking lot that had people still sleeping in it as the windows were all fogged and iced up as they tend to get. Still first on the trail and as far as it looks the trail is broken out. Up the trail we go and it appears that most of the tracks are from skiers and where the trail makes a sharp right turn up the steeps all but a lone set of tracks continued straight. We've been in this situation before, to follow a broken track that clearly doesn't follow the correct path in hopes of it getting to our intended destination or should we take what we know is the correct way and break through some heavy deep snow. Not wanting to get skunked again we decided to charge straight up the steep unbroken trail. Wow, this is a lot of work, but it is so much fun and gratifying to be laying out a set of fresh tracks. I was wearing my GPS and with the snow easily up to my knees we decided we would break out .1 miles each and switch the lead. Seeing how it was just the two of us, going last in the line which is second in this case was not much of a relief. We made steady progress and took our first break at Coopers Lodge where we met a lone individual there inside that was taking a break from skiing. We took a nice size break seeing as we were in an enclosed shelter, except for the open windows in the front. After getting a bite to eat and talking to the guy we said goodbye and continued to break trail to the summit. From the Coopers Lodge to the summit it gets steep and the snow continued to gradually get deeper coming up easily to my waist if not higher. No views today, it was completely socked in and the wind was whipping. Took a couple summit shots and made our way down off the summit where we met almost right away the young couple that was sleeping in their car from earlier this morning. We made much better time back to the car as the trail was now nicely stomped out.

It was early afternoon and we drove up to The Alchemist. Getting there shortly after it opened up and the place was already starting to fill up. We got a seat right away and thankfully didn't have to wait at all. This is technically not the first time we've been here. In early August we had stopped by after finishing our NE111 on Mansfield but there was well over an hour wait for a table and my hunny was suffering from food poising she got from the Carter Hut( not to discourage people from staying at the Huts. We stayed at all of them and had an Amazing time, minus the said food poising, I knew there was a reason I stayed away from the salad :wink: ) On that visit we didn't stay or even try a beer as my hunny was in pain back at the car, even though she said she would stick it out seeing how I've wanted to come to this place for awhile now. I Love her! This place is on the small side but very nicely done up with a long bar and dining area separated by a short wall. I also love their little Alchemist logo! We ordered their Holy Cow IPA and it didn't disappoint at all. Very delicious indeed!!!! I ordered a cheeseburger and the wife ordered one of their small personal margarita pizzas which we both enjoyed very much. This wasn't your usual pub grub. This food for being what it was, a cheeseburger and pizza could almost be served at a more expensive fine dining restaurant and you could tell they cared just as much about the food they were serving as they did about their beers. The next beer that I order, another IPA (Score) was their El Jefe, pronounced Heff-A, and was glad the wife who speaks Spanish told me that before I tried ordering it and made a complete ass out of myself by saying "Yeah, could I get the L Jeef" :roll: The El Jefe which in Spanish means "the chief" or "the boss" while extremely good was more like the next in command to the Holy Cow IPA. Only had the two beers as we were meeting up with a friend in the morning to climb Abraham and Ellen followed by a trip to the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery, which we should of went to the Vermont Pub & Brewery seeing how we've been to the LPPB countless times before. I'll spare you that TR and give you the cliff notes. Abraham and Ellen was beautiful. Amazing views all day long. Could see the Adirondacks and the Whites perfectly. Ridge run not broken out but wheres the fun in it if it was. Beer back at the LPPB great as usual. Had the LP IPA, yadayadayada. The End! :D
Last edited by redshorts47 on Tue May 10, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Re: Killington and The Alchemist

Postby Tom » Tue May 10, 2011 10:57 am

Like I said before, you gotta love a place with multiple IPAs!
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Re: Killington and The Alchemist

Postby redshorts47 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:14 am

Tom wrote:Like I said before, you gotta love a place with multiple IPAs!

I sure do and this place was great! :toast:

I was editing the TR while you posted your comment and gave the Cliff notes on our Trip To Abraham and Ellen/LLPB :D
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Return to Vermont Trips and Events